It isn’t like we sit around and eat appetizers while sipping the finest wine the region has to offer- at least not every day that is. But, we do have a lot of company from out of town and we like to give them the Napa experience.
We love our appetizers. Our guests enjoy sitting on the full length porch overlooking the vineyard while sipping wine. These little tarts taste like a million dollars, but are easy to make:
Basil Blue Cheese & Pear Mini Phyllo tarts
- 30 frozen miniature phyllo cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh Napa Valley Pears, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons Napa Ranch Basil, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the frozen phyllo shells on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the pears in the skillet and cook, stirring for 1 minute to soften slightly.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the pears and let cook, stirring until they are completely soft, 2 minutes longer.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the pears and their juice in each phyllo shell.
- Sprinkle each tart generously with blue cheese and sprinkle with basil.
- Bake until the cheese melts and the shells are crisp and golden brown 7 to 8 minutes.
- This recipe can be made the day before and reheated in an oven at 350 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes.
Our favorite wine choice: Riesling